April 29, 2012

So what HAVE I been doing?

So... I've had some time on my hands lately. I'm healing or so the doctors tell me. To my observation "healing" is a way to make being lazy sound purposeful. I am doing as much staying still and resting as I can but I'm not exactly a patient person. I'm trying but only because I know that I still have a way to go yet.

So, what have I been doing with my time, you ask?  Well, to start with... the aforementioned healing. It looks a lot like this except I am on the chair too. Covered in a blanket. And likely sleeping.  I have to give thanks to my Dad for the loan of the Sleep Chair. It's powers of healing and napping are strong!

Howard, my handy assistant in healing.
 While sitting I have often been knitting.  This is my Vergennes sweater, knit in Woobu yarn by Blue Moon Fiber Arts. True Blood, colourway.  I started it on April 19 and I am hopeful to have it done (or at least mostly) before I head back to work.
Yes, knitting a "blood" coloured sweater while recuperating
from surgery is my idea of a funny joke.
I have had difficulty watching TV as I cannot wear my glasses yet. Not that it bothers me all that much to keep things quiet.  I listened to audiobooks while knitting. I highly recommend "Is everyone hanging out without me? And other concerns." by Mindy Kaling. I just finished this one. She is hilarious.  Another laugh-out-loud funny one is "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris. This one is extra funny to me because a large part of the book chronicles the American author's attempt to learn french while living in France with his partner. They say laughter is the best medicine, right?

I have restarted reading "Talent is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin.  It only sounds like a pessimistic book. It's purpose is to explain "what really separates world-class performers from everybody else".  The book discusses a very interesting premise: that there is no such thing as a "natural talent". That "talent" is just really hard work and an ass-load of practice and perhaps the incentive to succeed. What it also suggests is that success is not limited by a person's intelligence or memory- it's not just for super smart people. (Yeah, us regular people have a hope!) I haven't finished the book yet but I am enjoying the read so far.

I've been playing my favourite new app on my ipod touch: SpellTower. I tell you this is an additive game. I have wasted a lot of time on this over the past week or so. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Scott and I also have a new pass time and a new friendly competition... but more on that tomorrow. In the mean time, I guess I have some knitting to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment